Helpful tip: DO
NOT USE BLEACH ON MOLD
Some government agencies and disaster recovery organizations still recommend using bleach on mold, but that advice is not accurate.
From our paper on Diagnosis and Treatment of Illness Caused by Contaminants in Water-Damaged Buildings:
Serious disinformation has been popularized and reflected in the guidelines given healthcare workers and the public encouraging the use of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and other chlorinated products for cleaning the mold from damp indoor spaces. Biocides, including chlorine bleach, are harmful to humans and pets. Bleach is a strong corrosive material and will irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. It is cytotoxic and genotoxic and has an accumulative effect on the body and can cause damage to organs.
In regard to using bleach on mold, some species propagate via spores that are unaffected by chlorine, acids, caustics or ozone. In addition, chlorinating carbon-based organic toxins increases their toxicity by increasing their mutagenicity and their lipid solubility which allows these poisons to enter the skin and accumulate in lipid rich tissue such as fat deposits and the brain.