analytics tool


Global Indoor Health Network - Mycotoxins
A key research paper from 1985 on the inhalation effects of mycotoxins comes from a study funded by the U.S. Army that took place from 1982-1985.  The paper is titled:

Toxicologic and Analytical Studies with T-2 and Related Trichothecene Mycotoxins

Read a brief excerpt or read the full report.

We have numerous Research Papers, reports by Government Agencies and Other Reports posted on our website.

Mycotoxins are secondary metabolites produced by microfungi that are capable of causing disease and death in humans and other animals.

According to Dr. Harriett Ammann, Senior Toxicologist: 

"Health effects from exposures to molds in indoor environments can result from allergy, infection, mucous membrane and sensory irritation and toxicity alone, or in combination.

Mycotoxins are nearly all cytotoxic, disrupting various cellular structures such as membranes, and interfering with vital cellular processes such as protein, RNA and DNA synthesis."

According to a 1987 research study, "inhalation of T-2 mycotoxin is at least 10 times more toxic than systemic administration and at least 20 times more toxic than dermal administration."

Click here to view a table that lists some of the different types of mycotoxins and the health effects of each one.

There are hundreds of research papers that discuss the health effects of mold and mycotoxins that often occur in water-damaged buildings. 

You will find many of the abstracts for these papers posted in the Research Papers section of our website.

Bottom line If someone tells you that inhalation of molds and mycotoxins isn't harmful, they are giving you incorrect information.

Share by: